After a childhood spent cooking and baking with granny, the kitchen was always going to be Kira Rattray’s happy place. Now she’s spreading the joy of incredible chocolate right here in Ellon. We simply had to hear more about her award-winning business and ask why she’d urge others to set up shop in our vibrant town…

Addicted to chocolate? We’ve got just the place for you…

“I’d dreamed of owning a chocolate shop forever and the older I got, the more my love for chocolate grew. I’m sure many of you can relate! After studying chocolate and patisserie, a job as a chocolatier and confectioner came along at the right time. It was the vital stepping stone I needed to get into the industry.

Because it was part-time I could carry on experimenting and developing new flavours at home on my days off. Eventually, I took a leap of faith and my very own business, Chocolate Passions, was born. I made delicious chocolate for special occasions and events, and was stocked in a number of shops in and around Aberdeen.

The perfect opportunity

Little did I know that one of those shops, The Chocolate Bar, would go on to shape my future. A few years later I rented a section of the shop to make my creations in-house. Then, when the owners decided it was time for a new chapter, I had the perfect opportunity to make my childhood dream a reality.

My aim was twofold: To provide local people with a cosy, welcoming space where they’d never feel alone and to offer them artisan coffee, home-baked goods and handcrafted chocolate.

Enjoying each bite

Every single truffle or bar you see in the shop has been made by us – no shortcuts and no mass-produced, machine-made chocolate. The same applies to everything in the café, from breakfast treats to fare that’ll fill you up at lunch. Food is the way to the heart, and we want people to enjoy each bite with us.”

The Chocolate Bar, Ellon, Mini Membership Card and Chocolate Selection.

I love #ellonlife because…

Kira Rattray

“It’s simply unique. We have that small-town charm without being too remote. Being out of the hustle and bustle of Aberdeen City means we really get to know each and every person who comes through our door, whether they’ve lived in Ellon for years or are just travelling through. I feel really lucky to live and work in a community that’s so supportive, friendly and welcoming.”

Kira Rattray, The Chocolate Bar

Quickfire Q&A

Chocolate aside, what else is important?
Providing high quality, delicious products without compromising the planet – 95% of our truffle packaging is recycled and recyclable, with the remaining 5% being biodegradable.

What makes you happy in business?
There’s no better feeling than hearing from happy customers. One particular highlight was a lovely message from a celebrity (a bit of an idol of mine!) who’d got a gift from The Chocolate Bar.

Smartest move you’ve made?
I’ve been making our chocolates from the very start and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. So, I recently outsourced some administrative and online tasks, which has been incredibly helpful.

Can I learn to make chocolate, too?​
Yes! The Chocolate Bar hosts workshops in the evenings, covering everything from truffle making to tea, coffee and chocolate tasting. Prefer to learn in the comfort of your own home? Check out our online workshops and DIY kits!

Fact file

The Chocolate Bar
Address: 2 Market Street, Ellon, AB41 9JD
Call: 01358 725071

Open: Open Monday to Saturday from 10am until 4pm with home visits and evening appointments available on request.

The Chocolate Bar, Ellon.

Want to share your story?

Would you like some free promotion? We thought so!
And we’d love to hear all about your business.

Other ways you can get involved with #ellonlife

Ellon Life is the new, official brand of your thriving community. Packed with listings, articles and blogs in one easy-to-use online space, it’s bringing much-loved local businesses, initiatives, groups and projects together while putting your modern market town on the map once and for all.

It couldn’t be easier help shape the future of your town. Ellon Life’s words and images are ALL YOURS to use for promotion – add them to your websites, adverts, flyers, social media channels, etc. Then follow and share Ellon Life on social media. It couldn’t be easier!